This article will cover how to prepare a project with Visual Studio Online and Agile method. This article assumes that you already have Visual Studio Online account. If you don’t have one, just create at http://visualstudio.com.
Creating a project and version control
- On your visual studio online account, create a new project
- You can full a project information like the picture below
- After waiting for several seconds, you can navigate to the project.
Adding a member
- After creating a project, you can add a member by clicking manage link on your project dashboard
- You can add your team member by typing his name or his Microsoft account email.
- Please note, that your team member should be registered on visual studio online to join the project.
Planning the iterations
- On a real project, the customer and the team meet each other on a session called a planning game. The planning game will discuss the user story, the itreration length, and the release plan of the system. On this step, we assume that you already have the user story and the release plan of the project.
- You manage the iteration length by clicking the gear icon on the right uppoer of your visual studio
- Select the iterations tab. For this example we create one release with two iteration.
- As you see we also set the date for the release plan date and the iteration. You can see on the picture, we put an overhead time to make sure the quality of our source is sufficient. Please make sure to check the checkbox to activate the iteration backlog
- Open back your project, and visit Work tab, you will see that we are ready to add some user story on the Visual Studio Online.
Conslusion and Future works
On this post we create a project with Visual Studio Online as a fisrt step on Application Lifecycle Management. On the next post we will discuss how to create a feature, story amd task. You can grab the visual studio on Amazon.
You sync your one drive with your PC and you get an error that tell there is a sync problem, but after you click the detail it is said the all files are up to date
This is because some temp files can’t be synced to your OneDrive and make a few conflict with your sync status
- Open your OneDrive Application
- Find a folder that has an issue. it is symbolized by the cross symbol on Windows RT or ‘!’ mark on your PC
- Open the hidden files on File Explorer
- Find the file that has ‘!’ mark on your PC and delete it
- On the OneDrive App click the Sync button
You uninstall SQL Server 2012 and install a new SQL Server 2014 for your development machine. However after the installation of SQL Server 2014 you get an error like below
Could not load file or assembly Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdk.Sfc, Version=126.96.36.199
And you can’t add the data connection on Visual Studio 2013
This is because you remove the entire installation of SQL server 2012. Visual Studio 2013 need the installation of some of SQL Server 2012 library
Simply download the latest package of this library to fix the problem
When you sync your OneDrive for Business from Office 365 Pro plus / Office 2013. It consumed a same amount of disk that you are synhronized to the cloud. For example you have 2 GB documents on the cloud, if you sync it into your local files you need 2 GB + Office Cache files (2 GB). The other problem makes your Office run slower than before, because it always sync on the cloud
This because the Office Cache files need to store your state of work on their offices. Plus the behavior of the Office cache handler
Step 1 - Configure your Office Cache Control
Find upload center control
Click the settings. My recommended settings is like this
Step 2 - Move your Cache Files
This step is optional. However, I recommend you move the Office File Cache to the other drive if you are using non SSD drive. To do this please follow this
- Visit regedit by typing regedit on command prompt
- Open HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Common\Internet
- Create a string key value namely OfficeCacheLocation
Step 3 - Stop the Office Upload Center and OneDrive
Use the task manager to kill the office upload center and exit using the notification icon on OneDrive
Step 4 - Clean up your Cache Files
After you restart the document, you can clean up the cache files. The steps are:
- Visit C:\Users\Ridi Fe\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office\15.0
- Fine OfficeCache or something like that
- Delete it
Enjoy your new and clean OneDrive without consuming a lot of spaces again. If you don’t know what is OneDrive for Business and want to get up-to 15 GB your free personal storage you can click here using OneDrive or Buy OneDrive for Business here
Yes, its there.. the Visual Studio 2015 aka Visual Studio 14 is free for download. It still early access CTP so you will find many glitches about it. But according to my experience the Visual Studio 14 provides you better integration on the cloud (Azure), mobile, and also Office 365 Apps
You can dowload the latest version of Visual Studio 14 CTP here
You can see the notes about this release here
I will post my screencast video about this Visual Studio 14 CTP on this weekend so stay tune
Sometme you love the client, sometime you don’t. Client want you more with their limited investment. And you want to give the client the best with their investmet. This article will discuss how we develop the system with usability in mind. Usability is a set of principles that related how the people learn to use the syste. So let’s get started.
They are five basic of usability attributes namely (Nielsen, 1993)
- Error tolerance
If your team can achive those attributes, ideally your poduct will be awesome. However, it still depends with the client itself. Therefore, the level of usability attributes will be different from one client to the others. When we talk about system acceptance that is finished by acceptance of the user, Figure 1 shows how the system acceptance happens
The acceptability of the system again depends on the user that use the system. Figure 2 shows the acceptance level based on the user. It is shown that there are three characteristics of the user namely the usage of the system, computer experience and domain knowledge.
As a subcriber of Safari Books Online for more than two years, i will share my personal opinion about the new interface of safari books online. We will compare the current safari books online (my.safaribooksonline.com) with the all new interface of safaribooksonline (safaribooksonline.com). Let’s get started.
What’s good on the new safari books online
- Clean interface, responsive, and compatible on many browser
- Quick search and seamless searching experience between video and book
- Recommendation system based on the reader interest
- The semantic usage of reader. For example, what section that become favourite on certain books, or how long reader will read the section of the book
- Modern video player
What’s wrong with the new safari books online
- Limited collection, I search the same query between old and the new interface. Guess what the new interface has differeny content about my query “Sharepoint 2013”
- NO favorite folders only Queue. So you can’t move your collection into a specific folder. It will become a problem if you have many subject to learn
- No support for exploring a book by years of publication. For example, you want to get a latest definition about e-learning. In the past, I just click the left side filter fo publication years but with the new interface of safari is somewhat impossible.
- No economic option for student, unemployee, or lecturer. The subscriptions cost ~200-300$, in the old safari you have 100$ option through a bookshelt model.
- The lack support of Windows Phone, Android, and Windows 8.1 client.
Verdict – upgrade now or later?
I love how Safari books structure the book on a new model. however, they forget how digital library is structured. is just like one step ahead, but two step back. If you are a book lover, the new upgrade is a must, but if you have limited budget. Keep your old safari till you need to access full library. trust me, 200$-300$ years is worthed with the Safari
Yesterday, I created empty web template with Web Forms support through Visual Studio 2013. Unlike, the WebForms and the MVC template that works flawlessly. I got unique error as shown on figure
It is said that I need ScriptResourceMapping for jquery. It is strange that I don’t need JQUERY for this project.
After doing a search there are several options to solve the Empty Web issues on Visual Studio which are
Option 1 – If you don’t need JQUERY
If you don’t need jquery you can add this on your web.config
<add key="ValidationSettings:UnobtrusiveValidationMode" value="None"></add>
Option 2 – If you need JQUERY - Installing JQUERY using nugget
For this purpose you can read this link
Option 3 – You don’t need JQUERY but need ASP.NET WebForms Validation
For this purpose you can read this link
As the user of Visual Studio, you might know about SharePoint platform. SharePoint platform is a portal based web application that build for enterprise. Although, it has the foundation version for SMB which is free. SharePoint can easily scaled to the Enterprise or even the cloud. SharePoint has two main version the first version is On-premise and the cloud version. The on-premise version namely SharePoint 2013. The cloud based version namely SharePoint Online and is part of Office 365.
SharePoint become promising in the era of paperless, and the online version will help you to create the SharePoint solution easily rather than in the on-premise version
There are two certification for the latest SharePoint namely MCSE (MIcrosoft Certified Solution Expert) and MCSD (Microsoft Certified Solution Developer). for SharePoints. MCSE is for IT professional and MCSD is for Developers.
MCSE : SharePoint
In order to become MCSE you should pass the MCSA requirements and then follow it with two exam
- Managing Office 365 Identities and Requirements (70-346)
- Enabling Office 365 Services (70-347)
If you pass both certification, you will get MCSA (MC Solution Associate), you can join the course 20346B. Yes the course is look like Microsoft Office Specialist Office 365 but the MCSA more focused with the implmentation rather than usage. After pass the MCSA you can join
Beside the offline course you can join microsoft virtual academy (MVA) for SharePoint
In order to become Solution Developer for SharePoint you should pass four exam which are
- Developing ASP.NET MVC Web Applications (70-486), You can also join the offline course 20486B
- Developing Microsoft SharePoint Server 2013 Core Solutions (70-488), You can also join the course 20488B
- Developing Microsoft SharePoint Server 2013 Advanced Solutions (70-489). You can also join the course 20489B
Preparing is a must and you should prepare by online, offline, or books like below
Today, there are two main SKU of Visual Studio namely Visual Studio Online and Visual Studio 2013 products. This article will discuss which one you should buy or invest if you want to build something using Visual Studio.
we divide the usage of Visual Studio into five tiers which are personal / hobbyist, startup, SMB, and Enterprise. This solution is designed to be simplest as possible to get better understanding of Visual Studio Product.
Personal / Hobbyist
You are student or hobbyist, you can grab the Visual Studio Express is a freebies and have a sufficient features to create a product. This program is royalty free so that you can use and sell your software without hassle. The disadvantage of this product is each platform has different SKU. For example, if we want to build on web and on desktop you should install two products on a same machine. This won’t happen on Visual Studio Professional features.
You can download the Visual Studio Express here
and if you want to store you codes to the cloud you can use Visual Studio Online Basic that has five users free slots.
If you are startup you can also use Visual Studio Express. However, we recommend you buy the Professional Version. Yes, it costs about 300$. But it’s really worth for your startup. The professional features has many fundamental aspects of superb IDE such as
- One stop coding for any platform
- Unit Testing framework
- Code metrics and analysis
- Agile method
- Code visualization
- Professional deployment support
You can buy the Visual Studio with MSDN or without MSDN. MSDN means you have all Microsoft Product for test purpose (not for production to a client). The MSDN will cost $1200 yearly and without MSDN it takes cost 300$. Click the picture below to understand the latest prices.
You can download Visual Studio Professional here
and if you want to store you codes to the cloud you can use Visual Studio Online for professional, it costs 45$ per months and it includes Visual Studio Professional also. So as a startup you can invest on three model Visual Studio Online Professionals (Subscriptions / Month) , Visual Studio Professional, and Visual Studio Professional with MSDN (Subscriptions / Year).
If you don’t have a fund, don’t worry you can use Visual Studio Express family or Visual Studio Online Basic.
We categorize SMB if you have development team more than 10 people. in this model, you need a streamline software engineering process like a Agile method. In this case you can use Visual Studio Professional, but if you need more engineering approaches such as
- Test case or testing framework
- UML diagram
- Team Room
- Code Review
- Architecture Validation
- Code Cloning
- Graphics Debugging
You can grab the Visual Studio Premium, Visual Studio Premium with MSDN ($6200 / year). There is no Visual Studio Online version that has Premium inside so you need to buy Visual Studio separately.
You can download the Visual Studio Premium Version Here
Yes, if you are enterprise that has many IDE on your company and want to integrate all of your IDE, you can buy Visual Studio Online Advanced Subscriptions (60$ / months). It includes a plugin support for many major IDE like Eclipse, Visual Studio, and others. Others option is choosing Visual Studio Ultimate with MSDN ($13.299/year). Please notes that even Visual Studio Online Advances doesn’t have Visual Studio included, you should buy Visual Studio separately. Visual Studio Ultimate has several enterprise ready features such as
- All Visual Studio Premium features
- Load testing
- Adopting FULL Application Lifecycle Management using standard like CMMI, SCRUM, and others
- Has Intellitrace to understand the debug history
- Architecture dependency
Education is special SKU, you can grab Visual Studio Ultimate for free if your campus is STEM-D and is enrolled with Dramspark Premium. If your campus is not STEM-D you can get Visual Studio Professional with Dreamspark Standard for free.
Before I close this article you might notice some facts which are:
- Visual Studio Professional is only version of visual studio that can be bought without MSDN
- Visual Studio Express is a free version for Visual Studio
- The Visual Studio online professional is the one and only visual studio online version SKU that include IDE of Visual Studio Professional
- The reniew prices of MSDN subscriptions is only 30% of new subscriptions
You can do a quick buy using amazon below